Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Apple and WiTricity team together for wireless charging

I have to thank my wife for sending me the Source for this story. She sent the Source link via IM with a message that read “Have you heard about this wireless extension cord?”
All I could think about was: “How can you have a wireless extension cord?” That’s like an oxymoron. This is the magic of WiTricity, based on wireless charging research from MIT.
The idea is pretty simple: a circuit converts standard AC electricity to a high frequency and feeds it to a WiTricity source, like the flat rectangles that you see on the left in the photo. A WiTricity device tuned into the same frequency as the source can get power through “resonant magnetic coupling”. As you might have imagined, it is good for lighting, television, computer, not to mention video and audio components without plugging anything into the wall. I got a video from the WiTricity Showcase after the jump.
Apple apparently loves this technology, and has put together a patent application so users can power their computer, keyboard, mouse, or other electronic devices.
Personally, I could use this technology now, as I keep forgetting to charge my phone when I am at home. If I could just leave it in the room, and let it charge wirelessly, I would be glad. Yes, this is technology that I and many others would welcome to the market. My only concern is how safe it is. Leave a comment if you know more about it than my Sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment